By now, you’ve probably heard that Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth have broken up after less than one year of marriage.
Credit: Getty / Neilson Barnard
The duo — who first met on the set of The Last Song in 2009 — dated on and off for 10 years and tied the knot this past December in an intimate ceremony at their home in Nashville. Since their split, details have slowly started unfolding, and Miley even appears to have moved on with someone new. Keep reading to see everything we know so far about their separation.
- Miley vacations in Italy without her wedding ring. Just hours before the couple announced their split on Aug. 10, the 26-year-old singer shared photos of herself in Italy on Instagram. Noticeably missing from Miley’s left hand was her wedding ring.
- Miley is spotted kissing The Hills star Kaitlynn Carter. The singer was seen making out with the 30-year-old reality TV star during the getaway. “They were not trying to hide it at all. There were other people sitting by the pool,” ET reported. “They were fully on a date, getting drinks, just the two of them. They even got a couple of massages at the hotel.” The PDA-filled photos surfaced a week after Kaitlynn split from Brody Jenner after one year of marriage.
- Miley’s rep releases a statement. Later that evening, a rep for the singer confirmed to People that Miley and Liam had broken up after seven months of marriage. “Liam and Miley have agreed to separate at this time,” her rep stated. “Ever-evolving, changing as partners and individuals, they have decided this is what’s best while they both focus on themselves and careers. They still remain dedicated parents to all of their animals they share while lovingly taking this time apart. Please respect their process and privacy.”
- Miley slams Brody on Instagram. Following Miley and Kaitlynn’s makeout session, Brody joked about hooking up with Liam on Instagram on Aug. 11. “Watch out! Pics of Liam and I holding hands on the beach coming soon,” he wrote alongside a scenic beach photo of himself. Miley then clapped back in his comments, writing, “Go take a nap in your truck and cool off #HotGirlSummer.”
- Liam emerges in Australia. The 29-year-old actor appeared downcast when he stepped out for frozen yogurt with his older brother Chris on Aug. 12. According to People, Liam briefly commented on the split while speaking with Daily Mail Australia. “You don’t understand what it’s like,” Liam reportedly told the outlet. “I don’t want to talk about it mate.” However, Liam later denied speaking with Daily Mail Australia.
- Liam speaks out. That same day, Liam broke his silence on Instagram. “Just a quick note to say that Miley and I have recently separated and I wish her nothing but health and happiness going forward,” he wrote alongside a snap of a beach sunset. “This is a private matter and I have not made, nor will I be making, any comments to any journalists or media outlets. Any reported quotes attributed to me are false. Peace and love.”
- Brandi Cyrus weighs in on the breakup. On Aug. 14, Miley’s 32-year-old sister addressed the split on her Your Favorite Thing podcast with Wells Adams. “It’s not my business to talk about and it’s nothing anything of mine to tell,” Brandi said. “There’s nothing I can really say. I just, I’m here for her, obviously, and I’ve been spending a lot of time with her. When she’s ready to talk about it or whatever, then she will.”
- Miley and Liam reportedly had been having marriage trouble for a while. According to People, the singer didn’t approve of Liam’s partying ways. “Everyone always thinks Miley is problematic and immature and a hardcore partier while he’s this chill surfer dude, but that’s actually [not accurate],” a friend of the couple told the publication. “Liam parties with his friends, and Miley thinks he should’ve grown out of that by now.” “She’s been supportive of him when things get dark, but it’s tough,” another source close to Miley added. “That’s something that has weighed on Miley and their relationship. He can also lash out at her, and he hates the attention their ups and downs bring.”
- Miley and Kaitlynn return from their trip. On Aug. 14, Miley and Kaitlynn were spotted driving around LA together following their Italian getaway.